Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.7 – The Girls’ Grammar School

The Vicarage became the Girls’ Grammar School for a period in later years.  To quote from the Beardies Heritage by E.C.Sommerlad: ‘The need for a good school for girls in Glen Innes caused a number of residents to take steps to establish one, the movement...
Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.8 War Memorials

A Memorial Cross in memory of the late Peter Turnbull who was a distinguished airman, was given to the Church.  Funds were scarce due to the aftermath of the war years. However, in 1946 funds from the army and public subscription raised enough money to install...
Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.9 – Events of 1946 And Onwards

The first post-war Church of England Ball was held at the Glen Innes Town Hall on the 26th April 1946 and has been held annually ever since. The Sesquicentenary Ball in 2008 marks the sixty-second occasion.  It remains a highlight in the social life of the...
Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.10 – The Venerable Archdeacon Clifford Rothero

The Rev. Clifford Rothero was appointed to the Parish in 1951 and was made a Canon of St. Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale the day following his induction. He was at that time one of the youngest Canons in the whole Church of England.  The Venerable Archdeacon Rothero...
Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.11 The Church Organs

Researching the history of organs used in Holy Trinity has revealed that in 1880 the Bishop of Grafton and Armidale ordered the L. Davidson & Gray model, at the cost of £175. After 30 years it was removed. Its whereabouts are not known. The 1894 photograph shows...
Ch.7 –  The Girls’ Grammar School

Ch.12 – Events 1950 and onwards.

On 11th February 1952 the Rev. Milton McGregor was raised to the priesthood.  In 1953 the first Men’s Dinner was organised. These were a feature of the Church year and proved most successful. After a lapse of some years they are now resuming.  From an...